Various stakeholders from the Academe, the Health Centers and the Media from all over Caraga signed a Memorandum of Agreement with the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) Caraga and Philippine Council for Health Research and Development (PCHRD) on February 24, Friday, to strengthen the partnership of the Caraga Health Research and Development Consortium (CHRDC) in the region.
The partnership, which was first developed on May 13, 2008, aimed at addressing health problems in Caraga through boosting the Health Research and Development. According to Dr. Jose R. Llacuña, regional director of the Department of Health and the newly appointed CHRDC Chair, there is a need to promote and improve health and quality of life of Caraganons.
“We have to gain new knowledge, develop new technologies to help us solve key health issues in Caraga like Schistosomiasis and Dengue. Also, we have to remember that we have a high incidence rate of Teenage Pregnancy Rate and HIV/AIDS cases in the region,” says Llacuña. The partnership was also forged to collaborate and share resources, expertise and facilities to speed up the generation of knowledge and technologies from the consortium.
Sectoral representatives were also reelected and appointed alongside the MoA Signing. Dr. Llacuna, was elected as the new CHRDC Chair while DOST Regional Director Dominga D. Mallonga is Vice-chair.
The members of the Caraga Health Research and Development Consortium include:
· Philippine Council for Health Research and Development
· Department of Science and Technology – Caraga
· Department of Health – Caraga
· Commission on Higher Education – Caraga
· National Economic and Development Authority – Caraga
· Department of Education – Caraga
· Philippine Health Insurance Corporation
· Bombo Radyo Philippines
From the Health Centers and Hospitals,
· Butuan City Health Office
· Provinical Health Office – Agusan del Norte
· Butuan Medical Center
· Manuel J. Santos Hospital
From the Academe,
· Agusan del Sur State College of Agriculture and Technology
· Butuan Doctor’s College
· Caraga State University
· Father Saturnino Urios State University
· Saint Joseph Institute of Technology
· Saint Paul University Surigao
· Surigao Education Center
· Surigao del Sur State University
· Surigao State College of Technology
Aside from the election and appointment, the members of the consortium discussed on the upcoming activities like the Information, Education and Communication Campaign Planning Workshop and the Regional Consultations and Drafting of the Regional Unified Health Research Agenda for 2017-2022.